12.13.2010

Try to Make Sense of the Things that You Think

A bit of foresight would have helped me a little more with this transition, as I make the featured artist switch to California "indie jazz duo" Pomplamoose. I say that because the video below is a collaboration between Pomplamoose, Nick Hornby and Ben Folds, who I featured a couple weeks ago. Oh well, I guess. Here it is anyways.



Pomplamoose is Jack Conte and Nataly Dawn, and their presence is almost completely an online one. They give very few live performances, as part of the originality of their particular medium comes in their video-songs. Much of the reason people like them is that their YouTube videos are so damn captivating. They gained a whole bunch of followers in the short 2 years they've been doing it, and have sold over 100,000 songs on iTunes. Between Dawn's cherubic voice and striking eyes, and Conte being the likable spazz, there is almost no need for them to be excessively talented, which, by the way, they are.

Those of you who have any grasp on music theory should be at least mildly impressed with Dawn's squirmy, dissonant bass lines. As I will show in my next few posts, these two have got an affinity for taking a song with a simple concept and bending into a sort of aural prism by exploring the boundaries of scales and harmonies.

And, plus, the videos are rad.

3 comments:

Myke said...

And it certainly doesn't hurt that Nataly is so freakin adorable.

Breck said...

I didn't mind that "try to make sense of the things that you think" was repeated over and over. Very cool collaboration.

Unknown said...

I saw Pomplamosse doing a car dealership commercial last night on TV.