12.15.2010

Show 'em How Funky and Strong Is Your Fight

I'm not sure how being a badass works when you're as adorable as Nataly Dawn is, but it works. The only other person I can think of who is super badass while simultaneously being cute as a button:

While Nataly probably can't devour 1000 hams in one sitting (or excrete balls of dark matter), she can do something most indie rock musicians who try will completely fail at doing --> successfully covering a Michael Jackson song. When I say, "successfully" covering, I don't mean just learning the chords and getting through the song. I mean, Pomplamoose straight up reinvents this song. Nataly doesn't try to mimic the King of Pop, nor does she try to outdo his edginess (i.e., Alien Antfarm's "Smooth Criminal" cover). Right away, Conte lays out a solid, colorful instrumental scheme for Dawn to add her voice to. The theme is fully recognizable; it's just played on an xylophone and a toy piano. This is a fantastic tribute to an artist, done by capturing and mimicking the spirit of the song, rather than trying to copy the original style of it.

"Beat It" as performed by Pomplamoose


Pomplamoose's creatively-conceived cover songs are part of what brought them notoriety on the internet. More will be featured, coming up this week!

No comments: