Remember how I mentioned that one of Pomplemoose's strongest suits is cover songs?
I'm not talking about Me First & the Gimme Gimme-style cover songs. Anyone can punkify old songs - all you need is a fast drum beat and a little vocal creativity. I'm talking about complex, thought-out reworkings of songs that aren't by Journey. The Sound of Music, for instance - award-winning, classic music performed by one of the world's most talented musical actresses, Julie Andrews. We all remember the thunderstorm scene where all the kids act like babies and Maria calms them all down with a comforting song. Pomplamoose has taken that lighthearted diddy and darkened it substantially, giving more gravity to the lyrics, while coating the melody with intricate jazz chord harmonies that almost make absolutely no sense.
Song widgets brought to you by the best resource for online music imaginable - Grooveshark.
Now, I don't spend a lot of time (or any at all, let's be honest) listening to Aerosmith. 30 years of pop-metal is quite enough, my boys. Steven Tyler, you've birthed a gorgeous, talented movie star daughter - your contribution to American pop culture has exceeded our wildest expectations, so can't you just sit down and enjoy your senior discount at Denny's from now on?
As I was saying. Not a huge fan. But I appreciate the talent and the influence they've had on rock culture. If only.. if only somebody would take what is undoubtedly good songwriting and do something a little less butt-rock with it.
Boom! Wish granted. Pomplamoose beautifully interprets Aerosmith's "Don't Wanna Miss a Thing" (or thang?)

2 comments:
I feel the same way as you about Aerosmith. Pretty awesome covers.
great covers
Post a Comment