1.21.2011

Jelly, Sadness, and Other Things


One of my personal favorite Flaming Lips songs, for your weekend! It's reminiscent of that sloppy/awesome, nonchalant, quirky garage rock perpetuated through the 80s and 90s by groups like The Pixies and Built to Spill (well, and the Flaming Lips, I guess).

In other news, I thought I would let you know that I attended the cinema last night and saw THE most depressing movie in the world. Before I expound, I have to point out that my previous self-declared "Most Depressing Movie in the World" (and I actually did have one) was St. Elmo's Fire. Now that I think about it, that movie really is a flaming bag of sad, smelly, depressing dog crap.

However, despite not having Rob Lowe kick ass on a saxophone, Blue Valentine is now taking home the oppressively heavy trophy for Most Depressing Movie. Ryan Gosling should probably bring a dolly for this one. Because seriously, this movie will make you want to paint all your walls black and drink yourself to death. My tears were singing old Conor Oberst songs on their way to the ground.

Now, I guess the big difference between Blue Valentine and St. Elmo's Fire is that the former is actually a really great movie that resulted in Golden Globe nominations for both the film's lead actors, and, well, St. Elmo's Fire sucked in the 80s and continues to suck to this very day.

Anyways, the whole reason I'm justifying writing about this is because Brooklyn band Grizzly Bear wrote the score for the whole movie, which was definitely one of its strong points.

Having a bit of a sporadic morning.. now that I'm previewing today's post I see a Flaming Lips song, a picture of Rob Lowe, and links to old emo songs. I know it's all over the place - my 7th grade English teacher always loved to point that out. "You've got to stick to some kind of structure, Trevor." I know, Ms. Metz! I KNOWWWWWW

[UPDATE: Holy lord, I want that tank top]

5 comments:

kelly said...

I cannot wait to see Blue Valentine. In fact, I think your review of it makes me want to see it even more. What does that say about me?

gabrielle. said...

What? Get mrs metz out of here! She sang "how bizarre" every morning in eighth grade, that was her idea of structure. I loved blue valentine. The cinematography, the soundtrack, the acting (I preferred him over her), everything. The blue room from the future was my favorite. But, I have to say that I love st elmo's fire, right down to the theme written by david foster. And it's funny you would mention rob lowe's sax solos, because in life I always say "you know what we could use right now? A sweet sax solo from rob lowe".

Unknown said...

haha, my Blue Valentine review talked more about St. Elmo's Fire than Blue Valentine. Oh well. I'm glad you've learned to embrace Rob's sax solos.

Unknown said...

And hi, Kelly.. what I left out in my post was that it still wasn't depressing enough to cause me to not like it. I dig me some sorrow, I guess.

Myke said...

I'm glad you included that update. I'll fight you for the tank top.